10 Twitter rules for sports stars
Twitter is a powerful branding tool thatÂ allows sport stars connect with fans in a real and meaningful way. It can also ruin your reputation if usedÂ carelessly.Â Major sports stars such asÂ LeBron James,Â Rio FerdinandÂ and Serena WilliamsÂ are prolific Twitterers.
Other than a few moments of poor judgment, such asÂ Rio’s campaign against Piers Morgan, Rio has benefitedÂ immenselyÂ from being on Twitter. While any one ofÂ Rio Ferdinand’sÂ 1.3 million followers has a chance of getting a reply back â€“ or even a â€˜retweetâ€™.
However, Twitter is extremely damaging if used carelessly.Â We all know at least one incident of a player saying something out of turn on Twitter.
Liverpool playerÂ Ryan Babel did not take Liverpoolâ€™s 1-0 FA Cup defeat to Manchester United well.Â Babel tweeted the referee Howard Webb photoshoped in a Manchester United jersey. This earned the winger a Â£10,000 fine.
When Twitter gets nasty there’s no where to hide. One Manchester United star (or possibly not)Â quit TwitterÂ after just two hours.Â Brian Wilson, All-StarÂ Closer for theÂ San Fran Giants, had a popular Twitter profile until heÂ tweeted about going clubbing and getting into a fight. He now no longer tweets — in all likelihood asked to keep such awkward details to himself by his sponsors and coaches.
10 Twitter Rules & tipsÂ for sports stars:
- Don’t drink and Tweet. Remember what happened when you rang your ex at 4am outside the Kebab shop? Well multiply that by about 100 million.
- Don’t let anyone access your account. Especially that guy whose boots you stole and never returned.
- Just because everyone on Twitter hates you it doesn’t mean you should blame Twitter.
- Learn to absorb the hate and get a thicker skin, it’s useful in life & Twitter.
- Twitter isn’t a megaphone, it’s a telephone.
- You can’t be everyonesÂ favouriteÂ sports star. AcceptÂ criticism. Haters will hate.
- Even if you’re ugly, make sure you have a profile picture.
- Klout Score is better than follower count. Check outÂ Klout.comÂ and see where you rank.
- Twitter is for everyone. Even your mom.
- ReadÂ Twitter Rules.
One final bit of advice: twink before you tweet.
Fluffy Links wants Brian Wilson back, as he was one of the most creative people on Twitter let alone sport.
Truth is we want to see more of theÂ Machine.
You’ll find more addicts onÂ http://www.tweeting-athletes.com