What day should your business invent?
What does a savvyÂ marketerÂ do when annual business opportunities such as Christmas, Valentines Day and Mothers Day areÂ overcrowdedÂ and marketed to death? Well, you invent a day of your own.
Guinness have done this to great effect with Arthur’s Day.Â Even the sight of Barack Obama drinking a pint of the black stuff at Moneygall has not stopped the latest decline in sales of Guinness in Ireland.Â With profits staggering, the prospect of using their founderâ€™s 250thÂ birthday was a marketing opportunity not to be missed.
Last year, hundreds of thousands of people across Ireland and millions more worldwide came together to celebrate Arthurâ€™s Day. This is a marketers dream.Â GuinnessÂ own the day, it’s their party and they decide who gets to play.
American Express cleverly decided to give their smallÂ businessÂ target market a day of its own – Small Business Saturday on the last Saturday in November. The objective of this day is to encourage shoppers back in to local mom and pop stores.The benefit forÂ AmericanÂ Express is the prospect of more credit card transactions.
â€œThe thought was, letâ€™s give small businesses a day of their own during the most critical time of the year,â€ says Scott Krugman (
@ScottKrugman), spokesperson for American Express. â€œItâ€™s our way to support small businesses.â€
Small Business SaturdayÂ Results
The marketing campaign was a resounding success for American Express.
- 2.7 million people â€œLikedâ€ the programâ€™s Facebook page.
- 195,000 tweets were sent in support of Small Business Saturday.
- Awareness rocketed from 37% in 2010 (its inaugural year) to 65% in 2011.
- 103 million Americans shopped at a small business on 2011â€²s Small Business Saturday.
- American Express saw a 23% increase in transactions at small business merchants.
- â€œIn reading from testimonials and hearing merchants say, â€˜Because of Small Business Saturday, my year-over-year sales were 40% higher,â€™â€ Krugman says, â€œThatâ€™s so great.â€
Results were sourced here
What day should yourÂ businessÂ invent?